There are currently no items in your cart
Infographic: No Better Time for Aussie Retailers to Get Online
With online sales booming, now is the time for Aussie retailers to get online and get responsive, in order to reap the benefits before their competitors.
The growing retailer sector online comes as no surprise as we continue to see e-commerce booming across all verticals overseas and in Australia. With worldwide sales made online increasing from six to nine percent by 2018 (emarketer.com), now is definitely the time for Australian retailers to grab their piece of the e-commerce pie.
The great news is that it’s not only Australians buying from Australian sites. We have a growing number of overseas and in particular US shoppers hitting our online marketplaces daily with more than 40 million Americans buying from Australian websites by 2018.
As stated in the infographic below, online purchases are set to increase by 10-15 percent every year with a large portion of those being completed on mobile devices. In fact, according to PayPal, over 30 percent of purchases made online are being completed on mobile devices. This means that the entire sales process from product showcasing to secure checkout needs to be a completely seamless process for customers when on a mobile.
In addition, the announcement by Google in April confirms that a mobile responsive online store (optimised for viewing on varying screen sizes) will fair better in the fight for top spot in search results as well. So, in effect, being mobile responsive is key not only to attracting your customers but also to keeping them on your site and ultimately completing the sale.
However, as uncovered in a study conducted by Retail Express, only 50 percent of Australian retailers have an actual webstore and of those, only 20 percent have a responsive webstore. This number is gradually increasing but clearly, the remaining 80 percent of Australian retailers need to tap into the booming online market place and capture their awaiting sales.
Why are 80 percent of retailers still without a webstore?
It may not be as easy as it sounds for many retailers. There are many elements to consider when expanding to the online world, like how to choose orders, how to charge shipping rates, how to get the product to the customer, is the infrastructure there to support this? However, once these decisions have been made, the major drawback for many business owners is the technology required to seamlessly connect both themselves and their customers to their inventory whether it be online or in their bricks-and-mortar store. Countless retailers agree that it’s often not worth the trouble of handling two separate businesses – their online store and their physical stores.
There is most certainly a solution for this. When a retailer connects their business with a cloud based POS, they work from one ‘point of truth’. This means that there is live access to everything, one centralised pool for inventory and customer and transactional records. Information is no longer separated which easily allows for the retailer to manage their business whether it be online, multiple stores or both.
As this industry is growing so rapidly, any Australian retailer who takes advantage of this opportunity to get online and get responsive, is going to massively reap the benefits before their competitors. Now’s the perfect time for retailers to get online.